Zettabyte Storage

Saturday, September 09, 2006

It's good to be appreciated. I'm vastly pleased to be ranked above Apple.

Somebody really likes our product, even though we violate one of his core rules: a monthly subscription fee. We've been considering selling standalone zBox's to the enthusiastic hacker that neither needs nor wants our fully managed Zettabits service. If you're interested in this, let us know and we'll make it happen sooner rather than later.

Regardless, I really like ths list of assumptions that were made in the post, and think it's worth reading for anyone thinking about data backup.

2 Comments:

  • I guess the thing I was trying to figure out was your target market.

    It might not have come over in my post all that well, but I also think you really do have a killer product here.

    But your services plans look too expensive for an average home user, and I'd figure that most corporate users still won't trust their data out of their own control. But maybe I'm wrong?

    Of course I'm not exactly a typical user, I think I'm currently running slightly over a TB of backup. Maybe my entire perception is skewed because of this..?

    By Blogger Al., at October 26, 2006 7:10 PM  

  • Thanks for the feedback, hopefully the reply is better late than never.

    Based on the response we've got, our target market is small business. We're too expensive for most home users, and not expensive enough for the enterprise.

    We're working to fix both ends of this, and I assure you that if we could drop the price of the service and easily grab the home market, we would do so immediately. But with the hardware we're using, and the cost of doing the actual backup, we pretty much just can't.

    As far as being an unusual case, you probably are. I find that it's more a question of what you'd like to have backed up, and what you really really need to have backed up.

    The difference between full system images of your desktop machines, which will be amazingly useful should they ever fail. And, for example, my Git archive with all of the work I've done in the last several years in it. One of these I back up internally, the other is on a zBox.

    By Blogger Vietor, at November 16, 2006 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home